Wednesday, July 25, 2007

smiling in spain





I LOVE SPAIN!!! I LOVE THE SPANISH!!!! Can we move here, please? We're on the island of Mallorca, Spain, aka one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my life. We came last year, too, so the landscape was something I had seen before, but it is still breathtaking. We've been here a week already and have one more week to go. I don't want to leave. Please don't make me! It's taken me this long just to unwind from our visit to the US and before that from living in uptight France. People here are singing in the street! I have been here one week, and FOUR YEARS in Paris and never have I heard people singing in the street in Paris (except those with an outstretched hand, ok and maybe for Bastille Day, but it is very rare). Bonjour Madame versus Ola! Hmmmmm, who is uptight? Good lord! Shit, the Spanish have taken that large telephone poll out of my ass in only a few days. The Mediterranean sea, the sandy beaches, the beautiful sunshine are just a part of it. You can get doses of these in southern France where we have also had the pleasure of visiting. But there is something very different here. It is absolutely the Spanish culture that has released me. THANK YOU SPANIARDS!!!!!!!

We're staying in a little apartment in El Terreno, just outside of Palma and a few bus stops from Cala Major. The porcellino is taking two classes while mon petit fee and I spend our days at the beach, at the pier watching all the boats, or in Palma. The MEDCUP is taking place this week and we've been to watch the sailors gear up for the event. Purrrrrrrr... Tall, dark, handsome and toned! Quick, I need a cold splash of water. Last night I bought TWO new pair of earrings from a street vendor. Last time I bought a new pair was maybe over a year ago??? Am feeling human again. Hey, I'll go one step further and say I'm feeling girly again. ahhhhhh

Our apartment doesn't have air conditioning like almost every other apartment here. Not that big of a deal. And no cloths dryers. But that is really not necessary either since you just hang your cloths outside on the balcony to dry. Saves energy and space.

I am getting a great tan! I actually bought a new two piece to wear to the beach in my favorite color - brown! I LOVE BROWN!!!!! Though I accidentally forgot to bring the top part yesterday. But that didn't matter since half the people go topless anyway. My first time was on the island of Santorini in Greece. It was so liberating and felt great! Here the only women who wear tops are the British and German tourists. Almost all (or at least most) of the Spanish women are topless. Rarely does anyone stare because it is so common. Though mon petit fee (he was in a floaty) and I were swimming and one very smiley 50-60 yr old man couldn't be more obvious. Just please try to look the other way! I am sure though that he had seen it all before anyway so it didn't bother me so much.
Swimming with mon petit fee.
Mozart was a prodigy and this place is stunning.